Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection include:
- a burning sensation when passing urine
- wanting to urinate more often, if only to pass a few drops
- cloudy, bloody or very smelly urine
- pain above the pubic bone.
Signs of urinary tract infections in children can also include:
- low fever
- day or night wetting in a child who has been dry
- feeding problems in babies.
If the infection moves to the kidneys, there may also be high fever, back pain and vomiting.
If infection of the kidneys is suspected, it is important to see your doctor, because if it is left untreated it can lead to kidney damage or even end stage kidney disease.Urinary tract infectionsWhy are urinary tract infections more common in women?