- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks, excess fat removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 litre salt reduced beef stock (homemade or use powder e.g. Massel™ salt reduced stock powder – follow instructions on can)
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup dry small pasta e.g. macaroni, risoni
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add lamb shanks and cook for about 10 minutes, until golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, capsicum and zucchini to pan and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add shanks to pan with rosemary, tomatoes, stock and water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until meat is starting to fall off the bone.
- Using a spoon, skim off any foam and excess fat from top of soup. Take shanks from soup, then pull meat from bone and chop. Return meat to soup.
- Season soup with pepper and add parsley before serving.
This recipe is suitable for people on:
- Peritoneal Dialysis
Each serve of this recipe will provide 1560kJ, 35g protein, 16g fat, 20g carbohydrate, 900mg potassium, 300mg phosphate and 750mg sodium