Preparing to travel while on home dialysis does require some planning on your own and in collaboration with your dialysis healthcare team. Luckily, there are a number of options available to help you stay on top of your treatment. Some of these include:
- Booking a dialysis chair with the Big Red Kidney Bus – the bus travels to a range of holiday park destinations around New South Wales and Victoria throughout the year. Make sure you book at least 2 weeks ahead of time – the bus can get busy during peak holiday season.
- Taking your machine with you – your home dialysis machine can be used anywhere while you travel, whether that be by caravan, trailer or boat.
- Going to a fixed dialysis house or campervan – determine if there is an already available fixed dialysis machine that you can use.
- Organising dialysis at another unit near your destination – if you know your travel destination, contact a dialysis unit close to where you’re staying well in advance so they can accommodate you on the days you require. Visit our Dialysis Unit Guide to find a dialysis unit near you.
- Organising a special holiday tour with dialysis included – there are a number of travel tours available for patients currently undergoing home dialysis treatment.
No matter the travel treatment option you chose, you need to make sure you’ve confirmed your plan with your dialysis healthcare team.